Mangifera indica ‘Haden’ is a cultivar, or variety, of mango that is native to Florida and is known for its medium to large size and yellow-orange skin. It has a sweet, slightly acidic flavor and is one of the most widely grown mango cultivars in the United States.
Haden mangoes are oval or oblong in shape and have a smooth, thin skin that is yellow or orange in color when ripe. The flesh is yellow-orange in color and has a soft, fibrous texture. Haden mangoes are generally considered to be sweet and juicy, with a rich, tropical flavor.
Haden mangoes are often used in a variety of dishes and drinks, including smoothies, chutneys, and salads. They are also used to make mango puree, juice, and other processed products. Haden mangoes are a rich source of nutrients, including vitamins A and C, potassium, and dietary fiber.
Haden mangoes are typically available during the summer months in the United States and in other parts of the world where they are grown. They are often exported to other countries, where they are available in specialty stores or through online retailers.
How to grow Mangifera indica ‘Haden’
If you are interested in growing your own Haden mangoes, here are some tips to consider:
- Choose a location with full sun exposure, as mangoes need plenty of sunlight to thrive.
- Select a well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. Mangoes prefer slightly acidic soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.5.
- Plant your mango tree in a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball.
- Water your mango tree regularly, providing enough water to keep the soil evenly moist but not waterlogged.
- Fertilize your mango tree with a balanced fertilize that is formulated for fruit trees. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
- Prune your mango tree to remove dead or diseased branches and to shape the tree as desired.
- Protect your mango tree from pests and diseases by regularly inspecting the tree and treating any issues as needed.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your Haden mango tree grows and produces healthy fruit. Keep in mind that mango trees can take several years to mature and produce fruit, so patience is key.